Thursday, August 2, 2012


Well, today was one of those interesting, "no such thing as coincidence" days! After several weeks of looking at motors, and getting a wee bit dejected about it, I took another stab at the problem today. I had gotten a slice of advice to be on the look out for a motor called an "Eska", it's air cooled, no longer made, but by all accounts, worth looking at if I could find one. 

I had been enduring some rather annoying phone calls from people selling motors. Things like.....Me: "So, if I come at look at your motor, can I see and hear it run? Them: "I just had it painted, it looks GREAT!" Me: "So, that's a yes?" Them: "Did I mention that I just painted the motor and it looks GREAT?" Me: "Sooo, what you are really selling here is an anchor?" Them: "Well, it MIGHT need a little work."Me: "Ummmm, thanks, I'll get back to you."

Today I called a young man with this motor, after some chatting, he volunteered to bring it to me, and tank test it right in front of my very own eyes and ears! After I picked my butt up off the floor and regained my senses, I told him that I would add $20.00 for his gas to travel to me if it all worked out!

I immediately went out back, filled up an empty dumpster and waited for him to arrive. By the time he got here, there was a small crowd of my my tenants out back in the garden waiting with me as well, because you just don't get to see a dumpster full of water with an outboard motor churning it up every day! I told the tenants they could bring their laundry down and I'd run it through the motor wash for free. No takers on that!

The guy arrived, we filled up the gas tank, four pulls on the motor and off it went!

As you can see, today I found an Eska, 7.5 horsepower, and if you attach it to a  garbage can full of water, it works!!!!! If it's possible for an outboard motor to be cute, I guess this one is!




No comments:

Post a Comment