Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Post launch......

Today is an anniversary of sorts of my life, I just realized this when I looked at the calender for some other reason. I was rather dreadfully ill two years ago today, while thankfully I don't recall much of it, I am fortunate to be alive here now. That is all that need be said about that!

I am the son and grandson of bonafide survivors. My mother and grandmother survived Hitler, and as my mother used to say, "After that, most everything else was easy." It is a bit of an oversimplification, but simple things are a good way to start.

Building this boat exists on several layers for me. One was the challenge of recovery and the celebration of that. Another was pushing mechanical boundaries. In addition, building it with the spirit of my friend who passed away at my side. Lastly, to remind myself how much fun this was, is, and will continue to be.

It's been two days since we had this adventure, pulling a fifteen foot boat down the city streets of Chicago behind a somewhat beefed up bicycle. Seeing the looks, the cars pulling up alongside as we putted along at 4 miles an hour, honking their horns and  shouting encouragement was amazing. My good friend John behind me on his bike, giggling the whole way there!

Finally seeing my boat, "J.T." floating on the water.....it was all perfection. 


No comments:

Post a Comment